The Ransom Paid
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 15:33–15:39
What is the significance of the death of Jesus? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we consider Mark's Gospel.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- Have you ever felt forsaken or abandoned by God? How does that differ from Jesus’s experience here?
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Mark 15:33; Exodus 10:21; Amos 8:9. What is the significance of the darkness at the crucifixion? Imagine being there on that day—how do you think you would have responded to the darkness?
- Read Mark 15:34–37; Psalm 22:1; 2 Corinthians 5:21. What does Jesus mean when he quotes from Psalm 22? What is the significance of Jesus’s experience here?
- Read Mark 15:38; Hebrews 10:19–25. What did the curtain symbolize? In what way does the author of Hebrews apply the tearing of the curtain?
- In light of Hebrews 10, how will the tearing of the curtain change the way you live each day?
- Read Mark 15:39. What is the centurion’s confession? How is the identity of Jesus tied to the cross? What is the danger of confessing Jesus is “the Son of God” without acknowledging his suffering on the cross?
- Read Psalm 22:27–28. This psalm that begins in abandonment ends in hope. How does this ending challenge us to live differently this week?