The Parable of the Soils
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 4:1–4:20
Does how we listen to the message of the gospel matter? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we look at this famous parable on the importance of how we listen.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- Have you ever ignored a warning? What was the result?
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Hebrews 3:7–15. We have spent the last few weeks talking about “hard hearts”. What have you learned about hard hearts? Do they all look the same? What is one area where you have seen your heart is hardened toward the message of the gospel?
- Read Mark 4:1–2; 3:9–10. Why is Jesus teaching from a boat? What is the significance for the purpose of Mark 4:1–20?
- Read Mark 4:9, 23–25. What does Jesus mean when he says, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear”?
- Read Mark 4:10–12. What are ways that parables reveal the kingdom of God? What are ways that parables conceal the kingdom of God? What is the purpose of parables?
- Read Mark 4:14–20. Take some time to look at the different types of soils (hearts). Share some modern-day examples of what each of these looks like in response to God’s Word.
- What are some ways that you are tempted to respond to God’s Word in ways similar to the first three soils?
- What would it look like for you to have a soft heart of good soil this week in response to God’s Word? What would it look like to be a disciple of Jesus this week?