The Downfall of David
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: 2 Samuel 11:1–27
What can we learn about the awfulness of sin from the story of David and Bathsheba? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we consider 2 Samuel 11.
- Read through the five lessons from David’s downfall in 2 Samuel 11 above. Which of them stands out to you?
- What is one takeaway from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read 1 Samuel 8:11–17; 2 Samuel 5:12. What is the key difference between these two types of kings? Which passage is a more accurate description of David in this chapter?
- When we consider 2 Samuel 11 in the broader context of 2 Samuel 10–12 (Israel’s war against Ammon), we see that the Bible is far more concerned with David’s sin than his worldly accomplishments. In what way is this a crucial reminder for us?
- Read 2 Samuel 11:27. Why is this verse crucial for the story of David and Bathsheba? What is the right response to the idea of God’s displeasure?
- How does the awfulness of sin ultimately magnify the grace of the Lord Jesus in the gospel?