Following the Crucified King
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 8:34–38
What is the cost of following Jesus? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we consider Jesus's words from Mark 8.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- Has following Jesus ever been “not what you expected”? What are some ways that we are surprised by the cost of following Jesus?
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Mark 8:31–33. What does Jesus mean when he tells Peter to “get behind him”? What are some areas of your life where you struggle to “follow” Jesus and sometimes find yourself leading him?
- What does it mean to follow Jesus with a cross? God gives each of us a “cross” to bear, a way to kill the old self within us. What might be some ways that God has put you in difficult circumstances as an opportunity to kill the old self?
- Read Mark 8:34. What does it mean to “deny yourself”? How can you pursue a rhythm of denying self?
- Read Mark 8:34; Galatians 2:20; 6:14. What does it mean to “pick up your cross”? How can you pick up your cross daily?
- How is the call to deny self and carry your cross so different than the message of our culture?
- Read Mark 14:36; Philippians 2:6–8. In what ways did Jesus have to “deny himself” on his road to the cross? How can we see Jesus as our example in living for the glory of God?
- Read Mark 8:35–38. Our text gives us two reasons why following Jesus is worth it. What are they?
- This Time Tomorrow: How might you follow Jesus with a cross this week?