Use the following thoughts and questions to have a spiritual conversation as a family. Don’t emphasize having the right answer, but focus on spending time discussing the Word as a family.
We talked about sexual integrity this last week at youth group. We highlighted how God designed humanity as male and female and with that sex was something created and commanded to Adam and Eve. It's a good and wonderful thing. The fall though has led sex to be corrupted.
We talked through that we need to desire to honor God with our bodies not think about how close we can get to the line without going over it. We also addressed practical ways to focus on God and live in integrity around sex.
We encourage you to take time to talk with your students about things they are facing, challenges, struggles, and what they see from peer around sexuality. According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teenage Pregnancy, nine out of 10 teens say that they would be more likely to delay sex if their parents would talk to them about it. It may be awkward but totally worth it.
Parent this is a great time to talk through your own stories, how you messed up and maybe things you would have done differently, this is how we pass on wisdom.
Here are a few things you can put into practice as you talk to your teens.
- Teenagers need — and respect — honesty from adults about sex.
- Teenagers need to hear that sex is good.
- Teenagers need to understand what it means to live in obedience to God in their bodies.
- Teenagers — especially girls — need to hear that their bodies are good and beautiful.
- Teenagers — both girls and boys — need parents to understand their world.
- Teenagers want to be guided, not controlled.
If you have any questions to need help talking to your teen pleaser let us know.
FOR KEEPS [MEMORY VERSE]
Encourage and/or challenge your teenagers to memorize the Scripture below.
- Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, (1 Corinthians 13:4, NASB)
- We love, because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19, NASB)
Thank you for letting us serve you and your family