Humble Contentment and Defiant Rebellion
March 12, 2023 Speaker: Jordan Gowing Series: 2 Samuel | A Better King
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: 2 Samuel 2:1–32, 2 Samuel 3:1
How do we respond when we God's plan for our lives doesn't live up to our expectations? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we consider the answer from 2 Samuel 2.
- What is “mysterious providence”? Why is this an important way of looking at the hardships we experience in this life?
- What is one takeaway from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read 2 Samuel 2:1. What is the first thing David does in this chapter? Why is this significant?
- Read 2 Samuel 2:4b–7. What is David’s chief concern in these verses? How are they also simultaneously a politically savvy move? What do these verses teach us about what it means to “wait upon the Lord”?
- Read 2 Samuel 2:8–11; 3:9–11; 1 Samuel 24:20. In contrast to David, how does Abner act? What do his actions and these verses reveal about Abner’s response to the plan of God? Would you say that you are more like David or Abner?
- Read Matthew 26:36–46. How does David point us to Jesus?
- Read Acts 26:4–14; cf. 2 Samuel 3:1. What does it mean to “kick against the goads”? How do Jesus and Paul use this term to describe the futility of opposing the will of God?
- What would it look like you to have humble contentment in God’s plan this week, even in painful, mysterious providence?
More in 2 Samuel | A Better King
March 26, 2023Out of Every Adversity
March 19, 2023A Compromised Foundation
March 5, 2023What Kind of King?