The God of the Living
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 12:18–12:27
Is it possible to have certainty about life after death? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we look at Jesus's words on the resurrection.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- There are lots of wrong beliefs about the afterlife today, even among those who call themselves Christians. What are some examples? (Answers: we become angels, everyone goes to heaven, we are disembodied spirits forever, etc.)
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- What do we mean when we say, “lasting hope is found in the promise of resurrection.” How is this hope different than other sources of hope?
- Read Mark 12:18–23. What is the Sadducees’ view of marriage and the resurrection? Why are they wrong?
- Read Mark 12:24. What does Jesus mean when he says the Sadducees do not know “the Scriptures nor the power of God”?
- Read Acts 26:8. In what ways is the question of resurrection ultimately about the character and power of God?
- Read Mark 12:25; Ephesians 5:31–32. According to Jesus and Paul, what is the primary purpose of marriage? How does this help us understand Jesus’s words about marriage in the resurrection?
- Have you ever struggled with Jesus’s words on marriage? How should we respond?
- Read Mark 12:26–27. Explain Jesus’s argument. Why does he use a passage from Exodus (3:6) rather than elsewhere in the Bible?
- Read Hebrews 11:13–16. What was the mindset of the patriarchs in the Old Testament? How does this help us understand God’s promise of resurrection?
- In what ways does this passage encourage you this week?