The Lord of the Sabbath
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 2:23–3:6
Where can we find true and lasting rest? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we look to Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- What activities do you find to be most restful? What would you consider “true rest”?
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Exodus 20:8–11; 35:2. What was the importance of the Sabbath for ancient Jews? Why was the punishment for breaking the Sabbath so serious?
- Read Mark 2:23–26; 1 Samuel 21:1–6. How does Jesus use this story of David and the high priest? In what ways is Jesus a “greater David”?
- Read Mark 2:27. What does it mean that the Sabbath was made for man? What are some ways that you can pursue true rest each week?
- Read Mark 3:1–4; Hebrews 3:7–19. What is a “hard heart”? What is the danger of “hardening our hearts”? What can we learn from the Pharisees in this passage?
- What is one of the many dangers of persistent unrepentance, like the Pharisees?
- How does Jesus’s declaration in these verses contrast to pursuing rest through manmade religion?
- What would it look like for you to pursue true rest and restoration this week?