A New Deliverance
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Mark 1:1–1:8
Who is John the Baptist? What was his mission? How does that matter for us today? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we explore the beginning of Mark's Gospel.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- Have you ever gotten lost while driving? Has that ever gotten you into danger (or near-danger)? What does “repentance” mean?
- What is one thing highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read Mark 1:1–3. What does it mean to “prepare the way of the Lord”? What would it look like for you to be “prepared”?
- Why is it important for us to understand the Exodus when reading Mark 1:1–3?
- Read Isaiah 40:1–11. What picture does Isaiah describe of the coming Kingdom of God? How does that influence our understanding of Mark 1:1–3?
- Read Malachi 3:1–2. What warning does Malachi give the people of God about the coming of the Lord?
- Read Mark 1:4–6. Imagine you lived in the first century right around the time John the Baptist became popular. Considering his description and message here, how would you expect people to receive him? How would you expect to receive him?
- Read Mark 1:7–8; John 3:25–30. What can we learn about humility and our role in God’s plan from John the Baptist?
- How might God be calling you to respond to the gospel this week?