No Other Gods
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Exodus 20:3
How should Christians live in response to the great salvation given to us? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we look at the first of the Ten Commandments.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- What comes to mind when you think of idolatry?
- What is one highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Read 1 Kings 3:7–9; 11:5–7. What can we learn from the life of King Solomon?
- Read Exodus 20:1–2. Describe God’s deliverance for the people of Israel. In what ways is this similar to our deliverance at the cross?
- Read Exodus 20:3. What is the danger of reading this command outside of the context of verses 1–2?
- Discuss the following quote. Do you agree or disagree? Does this definition leave anything out? “An idol is anything more central to your sense of significance, happiness, or purpose than your relationship to God.”
- Discuss the following common idols in our lives. Are you tempted toward any of these? What are some ways that you have seen these gods at work in your life or the lives of those around you?
- The god of pleasure
- The god of work
- The god of money
- The god of self
- Take some time to take each of the following tests. What do they reveal to you about your worship?
- Trust Test - In times of pain or trouble, what comforts me?
- Obedience Test - What qualifies or trumps my obedience to God and his commands?
- Love Test - When I allow my thoughts to wander, where do my thoughts wander?