The Dawning of Righteousness
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Passage: Malachi 3:13–4:6
Does obedience "earn" God's blessing? If so, how do we reconcile such a belief with the suffering of the righteous and the prospering of the wicked? Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we explore this question from the book of Malachi.
Sermon Discussion Questions
- Do you have a particularly memorable experience of a sunrise? Is the sunrise a good picture of God’s coming kingdom? Why or why not?
- What is one thing highlight from the sermon and one question that you had after hearing the sermon?
- Consider the context of Malachi’s day and the context of Holy Week. How are their circumstances similar? How are they different?
- Read Malachi 3:13–15. What does it mean to look at “obedience” as a form of currency? How were the Israelites guilty of this? How are we guilty of this today?
- Read Malachi 3:16–17. What does it mean to “fear” God?
- Read Malachi 3:18. What does it mean to serve God as a son? How is this different than just “serving God” like the Israelites in Malachi’s day?
- Consider the past 60 days. Have you tended to look at obedience as a currency or as worship? Have you served God as his child or like the Israelites did?
- Read Malachi 4:2; Colossians 1:13–14. Our liberation through Jesus’s crucifixion leads to overflowing joy. What is one way you can express joy and gratitude this week?