Cynical Hearts and Cold Religion
Topic: Sunday Morning Teaching Scripture: Malachi 1:1–1:5
We live in a day and age where it seems as though cynicism is a virtue, and yet few things are more dangerous to the Christian walk than cynicism. Join us this Sunday at CrossWinds Church in Spencer as we look at the beginning of the Malachi and the assurance of God's love for us.
- Read Malachi 1:1–5. What was life like in the days of Malachi? How is their world similar to our own?
- What are some ways that the cynicism and skepticism have crept into our churches?
- What are some reasons that we doubt God’s love, consciously or unconsciously? According to the book of Malachi, what is the danger of this cynicism, left unchecked?
- What does Malachi 1:1–5 teach us about how to face our skepticism about God’s love?
- Read Malachi 1:2–5. How does God answer the question, “How have you loved us?” Look at Genesis 25:19–26 and Romans 9:10–16 to help understand his argument.
- Read Romans 5:8. How can we find comfort in God’s choice to love us?
- In the sermon, we saw that there are three ways to remind ourselves of God’s love. What are they? Share an example of each that will help you remain confident in God’s love.
- Take some time to answer the question, “How has God loved us?”